Sunday, January 29, 2012

Warm Winter Sun

I am getting new bursts of energy this month! The winter is warm, and lately there has been sun here. I think the weather plays into my mood significantly. If I am able to recharge in the warm sun on weekends like this one, I am ready to give my all in the coming week.

My internship is busy. I am seeing home care patients now, which involves a lot of driving around the area communities. My favorite little community thus far is West Asheville. It is it's own little town, complete with a co-op, yoga studio, hair solon, and music shop. The neighborhood surrounds the little "downtown" area and people are walking and biking to do their errands. Yesterday I went there to get my hair cut and stopped at the co-op to get a smoothie from the juice "farmacy."

I am really into practicing the harp lately. I am trying to practice every weekend. I believe the harp will be a wonderful instrument for hospice and relaxation work once I am proficient. I would like to get a Celtic harp to play when I am working as a music therapist in the future.

Another project I have started is networking. I have heard that networking is very important when searching for a job. Being an introvert, networking is hard for me, but I know it is important. I'd like to find a job but not be too stressed about it. I am certain everything will fall into place with my own energy and effort as well as the world of opportunity out there. So please, if you have any tips on finding a job or know of any places that are hiring or should hire a music therapist, please let me know! My dream job now is to work as a music therapist in a hospice setting, but I would be open to nursing home, hospital, psych, or integrative healing arts settings as well. I'd like teaching yoga to be a part of my life too.

When I'm not looking into my future, I try to focus on the present with an open heart. I find that one of the most important parts of life is making a keeping friends. My friends and family mean a lot to me. Thank you! Here in Asheville, I try to make new connections that possibly will grow into friendships. Sometimes the negative side of me says, "you probably won't be here much longer, so why bother making a friend network here?" But I know from experience that friendships can span distance and that it is worth it to make friends everywhere because they help me be a happy, loving person.

So to my friends, family, and colleagues, I have decided to have a section of my blog posts about movie/book/media/music recommendations. Please comment with your own recommendations or comments. I would presently recommend the book Enjoy Every Sandwich by Lee Lipsenthal. It is a beautiful commentary on the living while dying philosophy from a physician who has terminal cancer. It is short and easy to read. A longer, more philosophical read would be Who Dies? by Stephen Levine. It also includes meditation scripts relating to pain, greif, and conscious dying. And if you really want to expand your horizons, watch DMT: The Spirit Molecule. It is a documentary for those with curious minds.

I will close with a song Kundalini yogis sing in parting:
May the longtime sun shine upon you
all love surround you
and the pure light within you
guide your way home

No comments:

Post a Comment